The worst highway merge in Delco

It was the first thing I heard when I woke up this morning.

I am pretty much on cruise control when I get out of bed. I do exactly the same thing every morning. I grab the portable radio that sits on my night stand and make a bee line for the coffee maker downstairs.

That radio never moves off KYW-Newsradio 1060. I need to be sure that the world has not ended since I slide into my nightly coma the night before.

We're all still here, but we're still dealing with some of the same problems.

That's especially true if you drive on Route 322 and need to get on I-95.

Doing so takes nerves of steel.

And a lot of luck.

Too many days drivers' luck runs out.

Like this morning, for instance.

The KYW traffic report told me there were problems on northbound I-95. I just shook my head and waited for it. Yep, just north of the Route 322 merge before the exit for the Commodore Barry Bridge.

The process of merging from Route 322 onto I-95 is something every kid preparing to take their driver's license test should experience. It defines the "white-knuckle drive."

It's bad enough that you are merging into the left-hand lanes of the interstate, meaning those cars that are likely going fastest. Making it worse is that many people are trying to get all the way over to the right-hand lane so they can go over the Barry Bridge into New Jersey. It's stressful in good conditions. During rush hour, it's a nightmare.

Who thought this was a good idea. Why is there not an overpass that would allow drivers headed east on Route 322 to merge onto I-95 North on the other side of the road.

I hereby nominate it for the worst merge in Delaware County.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Trying to get from I-95 NB to Stewart Ave after 476 joins it is worse.