Welcome to the Summer of Storms

Welcome to the summer of storms.

So this is how it's going to be, huh?

Look, I love summer.

I love heat.

I love humidity.

But I could do without the mania that accompanies it.

I'm talking about the way we all deal with the weather.

We used to call these thunderstorms.

A confession here: I love a good thunderstorm. When I got home last night, as the sky darkened and the rain moved in, and the rumble of Mother Nature rolled over the region, I of course got myself a nice cold drink and took it all in from the comfort of my front porch.

I know, I was supposed to be in the basement. I couldn't resist.

Mother Nature did not disappoint.

You could bet that after a streak of hot, humid weather, it would be broken up by some "boomers" - and she delivered last night.

Now, of course, we have "super cells."

For the second time in less than a week, my phone exploded with that insane weather warning buzzer. Last week it was while I was dead asleep.

At least last night it had the decency to do so as I was driving home.

I have to admit it looked a little foreboding - and I was driving right into the teeth of it.

Once again, we managed to skirt the real teeth of this storm.

The folks up in Morgantown, in Berks County, weren't as lucky. The National Weather Service confirmed a tornado touched down there and there is widespread reports of property damage.

You can get the details here.

They're calling for a repeat today. A hot, very humid day will allow storms to build up and they will roll over the region again, probably just in time for the evening rush.

We are under a flash flood warning from 4 p.m. to 2 a.m.

Why do I get the feeling that these storms are now going to become the summer equivalent of snow? Pretty soon we'll all be storming the supermarkets for milk and eggs.

Batten down the hatches.

It's going to be a long summer.

Comments