Everyone needs a good editor

They say every writer needs a good editor.

I can vouch for that. I edit copy every day.

Unfortunately, for a lot of reasons I won't necessarily go into here, I don't always get edited myself.

That makes for unfortunate errors and embarrassing typos that make their way into print.

There was a time when those kinds of errors were quickly ferreted out as a story made its way through the copy desk.

Those days are gone - and aren't likely coming back.

That's why the print version of my Letter From the Editor today makes a reference to the code name for D-Day as Operation Overload as opposed to Operation Overlord.

The only thing overloaded around here is the editor.

Hey, look on the bright side. I am constantly complaining about technology. But there is a bright side to it. When that error was pointed out to me by a reader, a few keystrokes and it was fixed, at least online.

Print? Well, as I've told reporters a million times, Print is Forever.

My apologies, readers.

Comments