The White Bronco: 25 years ago today

It is a moment in time - and part of the American lexicon.

If you are of a certain age and I mention these two words - white Bronco - what comes to your mind.

It was 25 years ago today - June 17, 1994 - that football great O.J. Simpson led police on that infamous slow-speed chase down Interstate 405 in Los Angeles. The Juice was hunkering down in the back seat as his friend Al Cowlings drive - as people cheered from overpasses.

As I remember, it was a Friday night.

My wife and I were driving home from a Philly Press Association banquet in New Jersey, and we listened to live coverage of the chase all the way home.

I remember we were pulling into our driveway about the same time O.J. was pulling into the driveway of his home.

Eventually he was taken into custody, charged in the brutal murder of his ex-wife Nicole Brown, and Ron Goldman. They have been found stabbed to death at her nearby home in Brentwood several days before.

We rushed into the house to turn on the TV to watch the live coverage of O.J., one of the most recognizable faces in the country - a former football superstar, television commentator and advertising pitch man - be taken into custody.

Of course, he was acquitted of the murder charges.

Ironically, just a few days ago, O.J. popped up again - on Twitter of all places.

I've been trying to get my head around how the internet - and social media - would handle a situation like the "White Bronco" these days.

Yeah, a lot has changed in 25 years.

Especially in my business.

For the better? Well, I'll let you decide that readers.

Comments