Tired of weather warnings? Blame your phone

If you live up in Bucks County, you may want to skip today's Letter From the Editor.

Yes, they got hammered by storms against last night. This after what was a wild week of late spring-early summer weather.

Here? Not so much. We had some trees down and other minor damage, but nothing major.

All of which makes me wonder if we're not being slowly "warned" to death.

If it seems as if you're phone is exploding every five minutes with another weather warning, you're not alone.

We have severe weather warnings, thunderstorm warning, flash flood watches and warnings, tornado watches and warnings.

I can remember a time when we simply considered these summer thunderstorms.

I have a theory about a lot of this.

And it has to do with something I spend entirely too much time doing every day.

It has to do with our phones, our mania about being "plugged in," and our insistence on sharing every moment we're awake with our social media friends.

I am referring to it as the "summer of storms."

I don't think it's going away anytime soon.

You can read my weekly print column here.

Comments