A scene I will not soon forget on Ridley Creek Road

I can admit it's something I think about every day.

But it's one I never expected to see.

Until yesterday.

On my commute to and from work, I take a shortcut that allows me to avoid Baltimore Pike and Media. Basically I use Rose Valley Road and Ridley Creek Road to cut across from Providence Road over to Baltimore Pike near Elwyn.

I have to admit I have always been fascinated by the house at the corner of Manchester Road and Ridley Creek Road. That's because I marvel at the way it sits on the perch of a steep cliff that drops off to Ridley Creek below. There is no back yard, and it strikes me that you would be wise not to make a misstep in the driveway.

Likewise, I have always wondered about that side of the road on Ridley Creek Road, and how there does not seem to be much that would stop a car from careening off the road and down that embankment.

Last night as I approached the left that takes you from Manchester to Ridley Creek Road, I noticed a police car stopped looking down Ridley Creek Road. It's always a bit of a weird turn, so I didn't think much of it at first. If you're not familiar with the road, when you first make that left, it seems as if you are about to tumble off the road as it quickly plunges down the hill.

Eventually the officer turned on his lights and headed down Ridley Creek Road. I followed him.

That's when I saw it - something I have always wondered about.

A car was sitting precariously on the bank, tilting dangerous toward the slope below. The driver was out of the car and waiting for the officer on the road.

I have no idea what happened and how he managed to go off the road and wind up on that slope.

I also know he is a lucky man, that somehow his car managed to not plunge all the way down the slop to Ridley Creek. And that once it stopped it did not topple over.

Maybe that's why he got out.

But it's a sight I will not soon forget.

Comments