Not the morning to be motoring in a new car

This was probably not the day to be adjusting to a new car.

There is nothing like trying to drive through blinding rain, dodging downed trees, limbs and debris in a brand-new car that you're totally unfamiliar with.

I had to turn in my old leased VW Passat last night. I'm now tooling around in a new Jetta. Now if I only knew how all these high-tech gadgets work. I really just wanted to listen to KYW this morning.

First I had to get into the car. Keyless entry, you know. I spend a lot of time complaining about technology these days. This car is not going to help.

Naturally the night I'm swapping cars is the same night our heat wave breaks, bringing with it blinding wind and high rain. It didn't get a lot better this morning.

The biggest challenge was just dodging the stuff in the road, while trying to figure out how to work all the instruments in my car.

Once I hit Delco, I quickly realized they got hit hard by the storm.

Roads were closed. Seemed like I had to turn around several times. I figured Ridley Creek and Rose Valley Roads were going to be a mess, so I went through Media to Providence Road (Route 252). Not a good choice. Providence was shut down in Nether Providence.

I circled back to Baltimore Pike, continued down to Springfield, and tried Chester Road (Route 320). Of course in the pre-dawn darkness I managed to miss the turn (which I always seem to do) and wound up back in a development on Swarthmore Avenue. I think I hurt the tender ears of my brand new car with a classic rant - which luckily no one but myself heard.

The good news - if you can call it that.

They are saying that all of this will break up the heat wave.

Maybe sometime this afternoon I will head back out to the car and figure out how the damn thing works.

Comments