Taken by storm

Yes, I am the person who actually likes this hot, humid, downright sticky weather.

I understand it's not everyone's cup of tea.

But I should qualify my tastes in forecast.

I could live without these storms that seem to be pounding us this summer several times a week.

That is in part because I have a creek that runs behind my house. For the most part, it is a quiet little brook, with a little water flowing through it.

Until we get a storm.

Then it turns into a raging torrent.

And take to standing in my sunroom looking out at this now rushing expanse of water, hoping that it stays within its banks.

In the 35 years we have been in our house, it has gone over its banks only a few times. Luckily, neither time it really threatened to come up to the house.

But these storms seem to be happening more and more frequently, and they seem to get more powerful each time.

I'm always amazed at how quickly this raging creek returns to its tranquil mode just as soon as the rain lets up.

A lot of places were not that lucky.

My usual route into the office was cut off this morning. I managed to navigate around the wires that were hanging low across Ridley Creek Road as it approaches Rose Valley Road. But once I zigged and zagged around the orange cones, I was confronted with a large tree down across the road. I had to backtrack and go through Media to get to Providence Road.

Across the region, in particular in Montgomery and Berks counties, the storm turned tragic. A pregnant woman and her son were swept away and killed by floodwaters.

It looks like we're going to get a chanced to day out, with a string of sunny, hot days.

Just the way I like them.

Minus the storms.

Comments