A salute to the Class of '69

Who knew I was in such vaunted company?

Actually, I'm not.

The names comprise a who's who of Delco football glory.

John Cappelletti was a rugged halfback for Monsignor Bonner.

Steve Joachim was the standout QB for Haverford High.

And that flash wide receiver from Chichester. Billy Johnson. You might know him for his nickname, "White Shoes." Yes, the same guy who was one of the all-time kickoff return men and special teams standouts in NFL history.

Randy Grossman, Joachim's favorite target, went on to a long NFL career, winning Super Bowls as part of those vaunted Pittsburgh Steeler teams.

They were all part of the 1969 Daily Times All-Delco Football Team.

Don't look for my name on that list, though I do have one thing in common with these gridiron greats.

I was a freshman entering Oxford Area High School in 1969, and a member of the first football team in the school's history.

Yes, me, maybe 100 pounds soaking wet with all my equipment on.

We spent two years playing JV games before entering our first year of varsity competition.

Our coach, Fred Green, was a product of Chichester High and took us back to his old stomping grounds that first year to see Billy Johnson play.

A couple of years later, Johnson had gone on to Widener, where he would again star and catch the eyes of NFL scouts.

Green decided to take his young charges back to Chichester and challenge his old coach, the legendary Tony Apichella.

The guy who replaced Johnson in the Chi backfield was a kid named Joe Miller.

He took the opening kick and was not touched, returning it for a touchdown.

It was an omen of the way things would go that day.

We lost, 72-3. I think Miller scored something like six touchdowns. Apichella did not run up the score on us. We were just that far out of our league.

I will never forget that day. It provided a great lesson - that things don't always go your way.

Fifty years later, I still take pride in being part of that team.

And today, in reading about the legendary Delco Class of 1969, which included six guys who went on to play in the NFL, I can only look on in awe.

Here's a salute to the Class of '69.

Comments