The debate about the press rages on

The debate rages on.

This all started last week with a blog and follow-up editorial expressing my exasperation with President Trump and his penchant for attacking minorities, women and people of color.

My thoughts were not based on politics, not Democrat or Republican, not liberal or conservative.

They were a call for decency.

The blowback was immediate and overwhelming.

So, of course, I decided to revisit the topic in my Monday print Letter From the Editor, again talking about what I do and the responses I sometimes evoke from readers.

I was somewhat surprised that the column also elicited a strong response, but just the opposite, from those supporting what I had written, and more importantly, the role of the press in our society.

One of those came from someone many might consider an unlikely source.

Charlie Sexton was the longtime head of the Springfield GOP. But he's also a longtime subscriber to this newspaper who is not shy about sharing his opinions.

He has had his differences with the newspaper over the years, but has always defended what we do as an integral part of democracy.

That continues today.

Thanks, Charlie.

Comments