Gunning for answers

I don't pretend to have the answer to the gun problems and mass shootings that afflict this country.

I'm not that smart.

I am willing to admit I'm not a gun guy. I haven't as much as held a firearm since I put down my BB-Gun as a kid.

That makes me something of the polar opposite of Dan McMonigle.

He's a lifetime gun owner, National Rifle Association member and certified gun safety instructor.

One thing I can count on is every time we do a story on the latest gun control measures, Dan will weigh in.

He almost always takes the opposite approach. That's not necessarily a bad thing - despite what gun critics insist.

I once had Dan on our 'Live From the Newsroom' show debating gun issues.

Last week, when state Sen. Tim Kearney, D-Swarthmore, held a local forum on gun control issues, Dan was there. He wanted to be on the panel, which he believed was stacked with anti-gun voices.

So I finally decided to take Dan up on an offer he's made any number of times.

No, I'm not yet ready to take a gun safety course.

But I did have us do a story on Dan and his fervent beliefs on the gun issues in this country.

Suffice it to say that Dan believes we are going about this the wrong way.

I'm not the least bit surprised.

Nor was I surprised at the reaction online. Yes, it blew up, including lots of comments wondering why I was giving this much space to Dan and his beliefs.

You can read it here.

As I said, I don't have the answer to the gun problems in this country. But we need to do something, to consider any and all avenues.

And Dan McMonigle needs to be a part of that conversation.

Comments