The Fall Guy

I did something yesterday afternoon I don't ever remember doing before in my 64 years on this good earth.

No, not swear at the TV as the Eagles melted down again in another brutal loss that dropped them to 1-2 and has fans rethinking this whole "Super Bowl contender" moniker.

However, it did involve the Birds.

I didn't watch one second of the game.

I did, however, listen to it.

I'm a summer guy. That's not exactly a secret. So on as glorious a last day of summer as you can imagine, I was not about to spend it sitting inside in the family room camped in front of the TV.

So I took a page out of my Phillies book.

I grabbed my portable radio (yes, kids, there is still such a thing, complete with batteries), retreated to one of my favorite chairs in the back yard, and spent several hours basking in the glow of near-90 degree temperatures.

Merrill Reese and Mike Quick never sounded so good.

And it's not over.

Mother Nature is determined to throw us a curve ball.

Today, on the first official day of autumn, we will once again push toward 90 degrees with wall-to-wall sunshine.

As far as the Eagles go, it's not panic mode yet.

Close, but not yet.

The Birds continue to look like a team that is not nearly as good as their billing. They fell to 1-2 with a very short week on tap along with a trip to Green Bay and a Thursday night tilt vs. the Packers at Lambeau Field.

Can you say 1-3?

The Eagles are suffering from all kinds of things. They have discovered something I have said forever - nothing means less than performance in the NFL preseason. Miles Sanders? All those fumbles at Penn State were not by accident. J.J. Arcega-Whiteside? He joined the drop parade. He had company. Say hello to Nelson Agholor and Nelson Goedert.

The defense is still full of holes.

And then there is the quarterback.

Yes, Carson Wentz again was victimized by receivers dropping sure touchdowns.

But the bottom line is this. With just a couple minutes left in the game, the Eagles got the ball and Wentz once again had the chance to do something he has yet to do: Lead his team down the field and claim a come-from-behind victory late in the fourth quarter.

Instead Wentz and his falls went three and out.

They actually got bailed out when the Eagles blocked a field goal, and yet the again failed to convert. The Eagles are 1-2.

And they might not be that good.

On the first day of autumn, which feels decidedly more like summer, we could be headed for the winter of our discontent.

Comments