A dinosaur does battle with the tech demons

It's not exactly a secret that I'm not a fan of technology.

I was reminded just how wide that gap is when I got in the car this morning.

Of course, the door magically unlocked as soon as I slid my hand onto the door handle. Nice. Taking it off and then sliding it back on again also unlocks the rest of the doors. All of this is accomplished without ever taking the keys out of my pocket. Unfortunately, the tech demons were about to get even with me.

After I got behind the wheel, I clicked on the button to release the parking brake - yes, I can admit I still miss the lever that you used to pull up on the console to engage the brake. Now it's done with the touch of a button.

But after releasing the brake, this morning I was dismayed to find that I could not move the stick from Park to Reverse to get out of the driveway. And for some reason the light indicating the parking brake had been disengaged kept coming back on. I sat up in the seat and immediately thought to myself, "Not the way I want to start the day."

Several more attempts to move the stick out of Park failed to get the job done.

And with good reason.

Apparently, you have to turn on the engine before you can move the car out of Park.

Don't laugh.

I do this all the time.

This is my first car with keyless entry. In this instance, you simply push a button to start the engine. And to turn it off.

I can't tell you how many times I've opened the door to get out of the car, only to be met with that annoying buzzer to remind me that the engine was still running.

I actually started to walk away from my wife's car one day while the engine was still running.

Like I said, technology is not my thing.

There is one thing, however, for which I will forever be grateful.

Hat's off to the person who came up with the idea of heated seats.

I'm not ready to turn on the heat in the car just yet.

But this morning, for the first time, I flipped on the seat warmer.

Ahhhhh!

All's right with the world.

Now if I could just figure out how to work the radio.

Comments