The problem with social media

I spend an inordinate amount of time every day swimming in the morass that is generally referred to as 'social media.'

I can assure you it's not always a pleasant experience.

But these days it goes with the territory - it's a crucial part of this job these days as we furiously race across this bridge from a print world to the online world - all the while hoping to God we don't burn the bridge down behind us before we make it to the other side.

I have some issues with social media, not the least of which is the fact there is very little in the way of filters, let alone editors.

Today every person with a phone is a publisher.

The more the merrier, right? I have a voice in the community. Some would argue it's too damn big a voice. Many days they just might be right.

What I explain to people all the time is that today I have "a" voice, not "the" voice. The difference does not always resonate.

So I usually try something else.

I tell people who disagree with me, either on the phone, or via Twitter and Facebook - and not always in the most pleasant way - that I am an equal opportunity publicist. If they want to take up their pen - or keyboard - they can write me a letter to the editor and I will publish it on our op-ed page.

Of course, it comes with one very large string attached.

To be published in the paper, you must offer your name and the town where you live. You'd be amazed how quiet it gets on the other end of the line when I inform people of this basic ground rule.

That is one of the big differences between what I do and so much of what is tossed around on social media.

Everything I write - in fact everything that appears in this newspaper and website - has my name beside it. My photo appears right there on my Twitter account, as well as my Facebook feed. My phone number is listed with every email I send.

I don't use an avatar. I don't post anonymously. OK, I do sometimes edit our wildly popular Sound Off column, which offers readers the chance to get things off their chest anonymously. If you ever wonder about the folks out there walking among us, come in some day and listen to the Sound Off items we don't use. Some days it can make the hair on the back of your neck stand up.

People are full of opinions - and only too willing to share them - when they know their name is not sitting beside them I refer to it as online version of "beer muscles." You know, the guy who has a few pops in the bar and suddenly becomes an expert on everything, and invites you to step outside if you dare to disagree.

Today we have folks with "internet muscles." They hide behind a cloak of anonymity and fire away at whoever happens to be in their path that day.

It's not fun when these minions of the online world turn on you. I know, it's happened to me all the time. As I said, it goes with the job these days. I can live with it.

But not everyone should have to deal with such online harassment.

I think Sean Clifford might agree with me.

Who is Sean Clifford?

Obviously you're not a Penn State fan. The truth is, neither am I, but I can tell you I was a bit taken aback when I saw young Sean's saga gracing the back of today's newspaper. That's a spot we usually reserve for the latest on the Eagles, Sixers, Flyers and Phillies, or maybe one of our Delco high school athletes.

So what was Clifford doing in that treasured spot today.

Clifford happens to be the quarterback of the Nittany Lions. They won Saturday, beating Indiana and setting up a huge game against undefeated and No. 1 Ohio State this weekend.

But it was the week before that likely was still weighing heavy on Clifford's mind. And not just because Penn State lost in a battle of undefeated teams to Minnesota.

There were a lot of unhappy faces in Happy Valley.

But one of them decided to turn his wrath on Clifford. And, of course, this "fan" did so anonymously, via Twitter. Clifford told the assembled media this week that he deleted his Twitter account after receiving death threats. You read it right. Clifford's team lost a football game. They lost their undefeated record. And at least one fan lost their mind.

This is the world we live in today.

It's the world I toil in every day.

Most days, you feel like you need a shower after dealing with some of these online trolls.

It's a problem. And it's getting a little worse each day.

Comments