Another snow job

So, did you manage to survive?

What? We didn't get the 5-8 inches of snow some local forecasters were predicting?

Hell, I we barely got a flake, just enough to make the roads wet.

That's as in WET, not necessarily slick or icy. They weren't. I know. I was out on them several times during the day. They were a little wet in the morning, then nothing in the afternoon.

We got a little more rain with a few flakes mixed in late in the day.

But nothing even approaching what we were once again warned about all weekend, how Monday was going to be a mess and traffic a nightmare.

And when nothing showed up for the morning rush, we were assured that Part II of the storm was going to his mid-afternoon, making the ride home from school or work an adventure.

Didn't happen.

What I saw was a bunch of TV folks standing beside roads that were wet.

How does this happen again and again?

Yes, some parts of the country got clobbered. Areas well north of here, in New York state and into New England, got up to a foot of snow. The picture with this blog is a scene from Kingston Township in Luzerne County, Pennsylvania.

But not here.

Maybe some flurries in Bucks County and the Poconos. But here in Philadelphia and the suburbs, it was smooth sailing. OK, they did see some big flakes up in Bucks County. Schools were closed or shut down early. Why I'm not sure.

In other words, the forecast we got beat over the head with all weekend was a bust.

Here's my own prediction: It won't be the last.

Welcome to winter in Philadelphia, where the weather is finicky and the forecasts even more so.

I could go on and on about what kind of effect all this storm-mongering has on the region's economy, but I've done that before.

I'll continue my quest. To me the weather consists of the following: Here's the temperature now, here's what we think the high and low will be, and what the rest of the day is going to be like.

The rest is just a guess.

Or a snow job, if you will.

Comments