The Dreaded Saturday Eagles Pick

At the end of the day Sunday, regardless of the outcome, Carson Wentz still will not have played a single playoff game.

Technically.

But make no mistake. Sunday's showdown is for all intent and purpose a post-season contest.

That's because if Wentz and the Eagles do not beat Dallas, they can start making their tee times. They will be eliminated from playoff contention, regardless of what happens on the final weekend of the season.

They must beat the Cowboys to stay alive. Then they either must win on the final Sunday of the regular season or hope the Cowboys falter against the Redskins.

For the past two weeks Wentz has done things fans have hounded him to do since he came into the league. He has put the team on his back and rallied them to two wins in the final minutes of close games.

He'll have to make it three in a row if the Birds are to have a shot at the post-season.

And, unfortunately, he will have to do it bereft of playmakers. He likely once again will have little or no opportunity to throw the ball down the field, saddled with a wide receiver duet of practice squad hero Greg Ward and draft pick disappointment J.J. Arcega-Whiteside.

Somehow Doug Pederson will have to concoct a ball-control, dink-and-dunk offense that features huge doses of Zach Ertz, Dallas Goedert and Miles Sanders. Look for Sanders to again be featured in just about every screen pass imaginable, while Ertz banks on short throws over the middle to Ward, Ertz and Goedert. Arcega-Whiteside? I'd be happy if he just stopped running into his fellow receivers.

On defense, it's time for the Eagles to make a stand. And Job 1 for Fletcher Cox and pals is to stop Zeke Elliott. The key to this game for the Eagles is to put the game in the hands of Dak Prescott, who is nursing a shoulder injury on his throwing arm. They need to stuff the run and pack the middle of the field, making Prescott throw deep outside balls, and putting that shoulder to the test. Putting him on the ground a few times would not hurt either.

The Eagles defense has played much better at home this year. They will need to repeat that feat Sunday for the Birds to have a chance.

Look for Doug Pederson to leave nothing in the playbook, including the possibility of another magical trick play, perhaps the former college QB Ward throwing an option pass or running a few plays out of a Wildcat formation.

I'd like to think all that might be enough. My gut tells me it won't. Both teams come into this game at 7-7. Don't let that fool you. This is a much more talented Dallas team. They just don't always play like it.

THE PICK: Make it Cowboys 27, Eagles 17. Here's hoping Wentz, Pederson and company prove me wrong. But Wentz can only do so much with the cast that is surrounding him. I think his streak comes to an end this week. And the Eagles defense has not frightened anyone - aside from their own fans - recently. I don't think Zeke Elliott and Dak Prescott are shaking in their boots awaiting this matchup.

LAST WEEK: Both the Eagles and Cowboys come into this game at a thoroughly mediocre 7-7. Wentz made some incredible throws to propel the Birds over the Redskins. It's a lot easier to explain the Eagles' travails than the Cowboys. They should be a lot better with the talent on that roster. Carson Wentz will have to continue to pull rabbits out of his hat for the Birds to have a shot at the post-season. Turns out I've been shorting myself the last couple of weeks. Math was never my strong suit. That comeback win over the Giants lifted my season record to a very respectable 9-5. I wouldn't mind being 9-6 after this game. Don't think it's going to happen.

GAME BY GAME: Eagles 32, Redskins 27. (My Pick: Eagles 27, Redskins 13)

Falcons 24, Eagles 20. (My Pick: Falcons 29, Eagles 27)

Lions 27, Eagles 24: (My Pick: Eagles 26, Lions 23)

Eagles 34, Packers 27 (My Pick: Packers 33, Eagles 23)

Eagles 31, Jets 6 (My Pick: Eagles 31, Jets 13)

Vikings 38, Eagles 20 (My Pick: Vikings 27, Eagles 26)

Cowboys 37, Eagles 10 (My Pick: Eagles 24, Cowboys 23)

Eagles 31, Bills 13 (My Pick: Bills 23, Eagles 17)

Eagles 22, Bears 14 (My Pick: Eagles 23, Bears 16)

Patriots 17, Eagles 10 (My Pick: Patriots 31, Eagles 17)

Seahawks 17, Eagles 9 (My Pick: Seahawks 26, Eagles 17)

Dolphins 37, Eagles 31 (My Pick: Eagles 29, Dolphins)

Eagles 23, Giants 17 (My Pick: Eagles 26, Giants 23)

Eagles 37, Redskins 27 (My Pick: Eagles 19, Redskins 13)

Comments