The Dreaded Saturday Eagles Pick (Wild-Card Edition)

One more time?

Can Carson Wentz and this band of practice squad players and castoffs win a playoff game? We're about to find out.

Actually, Wentz might have a few fortifications when the Birds kick off Sunday afternoon at 4:40 against the Seahawks at the Linc.

Jordan Howard should be ready to roll, which is a good thing since Miles Sanders could be limited with that ankle injury, although he is expected to play.

Tight end Zach Ertz looks like me might be ready to return from that rib and lacerated kidney, though he still had not been cleared as of Friday morning. Same goes for tackle Lane Johnson, who is still trying to shake off a high-ankle sprain.

Doesn't much matter. As it has now for the last four weeks of must-wins, this game once again sits in the hands of Wentz. He must continue to get the ball out quickly to Greg Ward and the other no-name Eagles wide receivers, along with Ertz and Sanders.

The biggest priority for Wentz is to protect the ball. He was responsible for four the five Eagles turnovers. That can't happen again. If the Eagle don't turn the ball over, I like them to win the game.

Wentz has been much more effective in the last few weeks, especially when he get out of the pocket, either finding an open receiver or taking off downfield. He seems to have put his injury woes behind him and is now once again playing with the kind of instincts he showed in his stellar rookie season.

Seattle is battling their own crippling series of injuries. The Birds' defense's biggest job will be containing Russell Wilson, who is probably most dangerous when he's scrambling. Jim Schwartz's squad for some reason plays much better in the friendly confines of the Linc. They have not given up more than 17 points there in the last six games.

The banged-up Seahawks actually have reached back to past glory in re-signing "Beast Mode" Marshawn Lynch to beef up their running attack.

The Seahawks are limping into the playoffs, losing three of their last four. Add in a cross-country flight, and it looks like a good setup for the Eagles to get the Russell Wilson-Seahawks jinx off their backs and move on to the divisional round.

THE PICK: Make it Eagles 19, Seahawks 13. I don't expect either team to put up a lot of points in this wild-card affair. But I still have faith in Carson Wentz and Jake Elliott to lift the Birds to the win.

LAST WEEK: The Eagles handled the Giants as expected in the Meadowlands and the four straight wins after that debacle in Miami saves the Eagles season, lifting them to a 9-7 record and a playoff berth courtesy of wining the NFC East. The Dreaded Saturday Eagles Pick wraps up a pretty strong season with another win, giving me a 10-6 record. On to the playoffs!

GAME BY GAME: Eagles 32, Redskins 27. (My Pick: Eagles 27, Redskins 13)

Falcons 24, Eagles 20. (My Pick: Falcons 29, Eagles 27)

Lions 27, Eagles 24: (My Pick: Eagles 26, Lions 23)

Eagles 34, Packers 27 (My Pick: Packers 33, Eagles 23)

Eagles 31, Jets 6 (My Pick: Eagles 31, Jets 13)

Vikings 38, Eagles 20 (My Pick: Vikings 27, Eagles 26)

Cowboys 37, Eagles 10 (My Pick: Eagles 24, Cowboys 23)

Eagles 31, Bills 13 (My Pick: Bills 23, Eagles 17)

Eagles 22, Bears 14 (My Pick: Eagles 23, Bears 16)

Patriots 17, Eagles 10 (My Pick: Patriots 31, Eagles 17)

Seahawks 17, Eagles 9 (My Pick: Seahawks 26, Eagles 17)

Dolphins 37, Eagles 31 (My Pick: Eagles 29, Dolphins)

Eagles 23, Giants 17 (My Pick: Eagles 26, Giants 23)

Eagles 37, Redskins 27 (My Pick: Eagles 19, Redskins 13)

Eagles 17, Cowboys 9 (My Pick: Cowboys 27, Eagles 17)

Eagles 34, Giants 19 (My Pick: Eagles 23, Giants 13)

Comments