A salute to Colin Jones & the Interboro community

Without question the single comment I have heard more often than any other in my 37 years at this newspaper is the plea from readers as to 'why is there so much bad news in the Daily Times.'

It's a good question.

Fortunately, I have what I think is a good answer, though certainly not one that a lot of people like to hear.

That's what people read.

Yes, we are still in the business of selling newspapers - and attracting eyeballs.

That does not mean we ignore good stories.

Take today's front page, for instance.

I love the story of Colin Jones, the manager for the Interboro High varsity boys basketball team. Monday night Colin had his dream granted - by the members of his own team.

The Bucs allowed Colin, who has Down Syndrome, to take the court. Twice, in fact, at the beginning and end of their contest with Sun Valley.

But first I need to make a confession.

We're a day late on this story.

In a perfect world, we would have been there Monday night to record Colin's big night.

We were not - but for a pretty good reason.

I was not aware of it.

Both Channel 3 and Channel 6 were there and did pieces on it.

As soon as I saw them, I put the wheels in motion to follow up on it. And that was before I received an email from a relative saying how disappointed he was that the Daily Times was not there for the occasion.

I could no agree more.

Thus today's front-page treatment for Colin Jones.

It's just a great story, and tells you everything you need to know about the Interboro community and the kids at Interboro High. Besides, it also gave me an opportunity to do one of my favorite things, toy around with words and come up with a good headline.

On top of the story on Page 3 is this hedline: A gesture worth a million Bucs.

Thanks to Colin and his family for cooperating on the story.

And thanks to the Interboro community.

Yes, the Daily Times still covers positive, "feel-good" stories.

And this one is hard to top.

Comments