A tribute to the original Quiet Man

Welcome to a different kind of St. Patrick's Day.

My days of revelry have been over for awhile now. Of course, the coronavirus pandemic has shut down most bars and restaurants. But some traditions hold true.

Take this tie, for instance.

It belonged to my father, one of the very few things I have of dad's. He died in 1977. The family legend is that this tie belonged to a man I never met, my father's father, and it came from the old country. We never had grandparents as kids. Long life apparently was not in the genes of the Heron men. We're trying to change that.

I have worn this tie every St. Patrick's Day since dad died.

For me, I will celebrate by following the latest developments of the coronavirus. It's one of the perils of the job.

When I get home tonight, perhaps I will catch a little bit of one of my favorite movies, 'The Quiet Man,' with John Wayne and Maureen O'Hara.

The movie reminds me of my father. We did not call him the original Quiet Man for nothing.

It's a trait he passed along to his son.

Happy St. Patrick's Day, dad.

This one's for you, Quiet Man.

Comments