Life without state stores

It is something I have been trying to do for years.

But I have to take my hat off to the coronavirus. It's done something I have been unable to do.

It closed the state stores.

Oh, excuse me, Fine Wind and Good Spirits Stores. You know, the places operated by the state of Pennsylvania where we buy wine and alcohol. Gov. Tom Wolf delivered this thunderbolt late Saturday afternoon, announcing all state stores would close their doors at 9 p.m. Tuesday. Of course that set off an immediate run on the stores.

This is not permanent. Pennsylvania is not getting out of the booze business. Unfortunately, and despite my best efforts.

Of course, there have been changes in the system.

The closure does not mean you can't get a bottle of wine. Lots of supermarkets are now selling wine. They will continue to do so. And many Pennsylvanians, especially here in Delco, will continue to make their runs to Delaware and New Jersey to make their alcohol purchases.

Life without state stores. What a concept.

Comments