Matters of Lent, and faith

I've received a few compliments in my day.

And more than my share of brickbats. (Confession here: Most of them were well-deserved!).

But this morning I may have received one of the nicest compliments I've ever received in 40 years in this business.

It came in response to today's Letter From the Editor, in which I expanded a bit on a blog item I first wrote last week.

It first appeared on Ash Wednesday, and it detailed my annual struggle with Lent.

This year, instead of giving something up, I've decided to be proactive.

Specifically, I asked people to join me in seeking a less coarse, more civil conversation.

That includes those who post comments on our website, call Sound Off, and take part in social media discussions on Twitter and Facebook.

This morning in my email feed I received a note from someone who most appreciated my sentiment.

The surprise - at least to me - is that it came from a local Delaware County priest.

Admittedly, he's a longtime friend, but I was still somewhat taken aback by what he had to say.

Here is part of what he wrote:

"Monday mornings are my most difficult (and dreaded); your "Letter From The Editor" made my day! I've been trying to offer homilies to the people regarding suggestions for our Lenten observances, your letter gave me a whole new insight. I usually credit the Holy Spirit for any new inspiration, this morning I must credit you! (There you are, on equal standing with the Holy Spirit! I hope that makes your day!). I hope you don't mind if I use some of your ideas and suggestions ... I will definitely give credit to you and the Daily Times."

Feel free to use whatever you like, Father.

The truth is my struggle has not been only with Lent. I am struggling with my faith. There are a lot of reasons for that. Many of them have shown up in the newspaper.

I wonder if I actually need the presence of the church, and of a priest, to have a connection with God.

I am guessing I will continue to struggle.

But at least I know I am not alone.

Thanks, father. Actually, you just made my day.

Comments