The arrival of 'seniors-only' hours at supermarkets

I am old enough (amazing how many times I say that these days) when a driver's license in Pennsylvania - the key to gaining entrance to your local watering hole - was a piece of paper with your name and signature on it.

That's right, no photo.

And yes, I can admit I used someone else's license to gain entrance to some legendary watering holes, nightspots like The Anvil Inn in Kennett Square, and the world-famous Stone Balloon in Newark, Del.

You had to remember when the birth date on the license was, and some bouncers would try to catch you by asking your astrological sign. Today, I'm on the other end of the spectrum.

But I can report today that it has its advantages - especially in these days of the coronavirus.

Several supermarkets, including Giant, announced they are creating special "seniors only" hours. From 6-7 a.m. the stores will be restricted to those 60 and over.

I wandered out to the supermarket last night. It wasn't pretty. A lot of the shelves were cleaned out. Took three stops to finally find a couple of rolls of toilet paper and some paper towels. Most of the vegetables and meats were picked clean.

With seniors among those most at risk from coronavirus, I like the idea of these "seniors-only" hours.

I wonder if any "youngsters" will hang around the front door asking to borrow your ID.

I guess that doesn't happen anymore.

The picture is a dead giveaway. And the gray hair.

I'm a Virgo, by the way.

Comments