About those Christmas lights

I probably should have known better.

There are very few topics that spark the kind of discussion that Christmas traditions and decorations do.

So I kind of expected what was coming after I wrote in the blog earlier this week about how much I liked these newfangled Christmas lights that display can fill the entire front or side of your house in colors and tiny stars.

Well, of course as soon as I posted that item on Facebook, it took off.

I am always amazed at what strikes a chord with readers. We have very serious issues we deal with here every day, and yet it this item on Christmas lights got as much response as almost anything I've written in a long time.

I think - maybe this year more than ever - that people are looking for a different outlet, something other than the usual diet of mayhem that we serve up in the news every day.

At any rate, I'm just happy to know that people read what I write.

At least on Facebook.

By the way, I'm sticking with tradition. A single white candle in each window. A spotlight on the door.

But I love driving around looking at other people's creations, and I still say these new lights are very nice.

One interesting theme that came up on that post was some people's belief that these new lights are something akin to cheating, that it's designed for people who don't want to do the work that goes with an elaborate display.

There is something to that. And also I guess for people who don't need the annual knock-down, drag-out fight over the decorating.

Right, honey?

Comments